Re: Debian's problems, Debian's future

On Thu, Mar 28, 2002 at 09:52:45PM +0100, Otto Wyss wrote:
> > > Sorry, diffs are simply silly! Use rsync with the uncompressed Packages
> > > file and diffs aren't necessary. Or use a packer which doesn't hinder
> > > rsync from saving (gzip --rsyncable).
> >
> > This isn't server friendly.
> >
> ???

Rsync requires a lot of resources on the server side. That's why admins
don't really like it. Most debian mirrors are already very busy.

> > > If you really care about bandwide, build a local mirror with my download
> > > script (option -A) and see that apt accesses the local mirror first when
> > > updating. I dare to assert that this is currently by far the best
> > > solution for saving bandwide.
> >
> > And how does that save bandwide if you have only one computer
> > downloading packages? With multiple computers it does, I use apt-proxy
> > for this.
> >
> Simply because it does the download in a smart way using rsync. First it
> downloads the Packages instead of the Packages.gz. Today it was around 130k
> instead of the 1.5M, well above 10 times better. Second it only requests
> packages from the server which have changed. I don't know how much use of
> bandwide a not necessary check of a package needs but not doing them is
> certainly better. Third it copies the old packages in place of the new one to
> profit from rsync. Even now where "rsync --rsyncable" isn't in use ( :-( ),
> there is a few percent gain. With the rsync patch the bandwide usage will be
> less the halve.

This are arguments for using rsync, not for building your own
mirror. Apt itself already caches the packages. Maybe having a smart
diffing mechanism which only diffs the changed files in the Debian
packages itself would be nice.

> When I checked apt-proxy in january my solution was better in any respect,
> except maybe in checking dependences (my script doesn't).

I'll look when I've time. Apt-proxy doesn't really provide the things
I want.

Jeroen Dekkers
--
Jabber supporter - http://www.jabber.org Jabber ID: jdekkers@jabber.org