Re: Spelling bug: publically versus publicly

Peter S Galbraith <GalbraithP@dfo-mpo.gc.ca> writes:

> I don't want to start a flame war, I just want a quick opinion.
> Two bug reports against libforms0.88 want me to correct the spelling of
> "publically" for "publicly":

Merriam-Webster agrees that it's a variant.
http://www.bartleby.com/68/73/4873.html says it does occur, but rarely
in Edited English.  I couldn't find anything authoritative saying that it's a
deprecated usage, but there are a bunch of sites which assert that
it's an error.  FWIW, the OED shows it as being a synonym and having
been around since at least 1920.

Since there are enough sources saying that it is
valid english, and the bug was just a mass spelling check, I'd chalk
this up to an error in the dictionary used, and close the bug as
incorrect.

Otherwise, tag it as wontfix and fix it if there's ever a real reason
to upload the package.

You have the capacity to learn from mistakes.  You'll learn a lot today.