Re: Debian's problems, Debian's future

On Wed, 27 Mar 2002 13:53:00 +0100
"Eduard Bloch" <blade@debian.org> wrote:

> 1) Large packages files
>
> dpkg and apt are designed to manage all the data in one single volume.
> This may have worked fine in Slink times, but now, the volume explodes.
> We need to make decissions. I suggest a three level structure:
>
> first level: often used packages, max. 500-1000. This volume is used as
>   primary target for dpkg/apt operation. It contains same data as
>   Packages files handle now
>
> Second level: names of additional packages and keywords (remember
>   Erich's proposal)
>
> Thirth level: Rest of data, acompanying the second level.

I think it would much better to consider the metadata as two seperate
types (required/optional) - metadata for the system: always used/loaded
 - metadata for the user: retrieved as required

e.g. The majority of the size of the Packages file comes from the package
descriptions, descriptions arent required to install a package, only by
some to choose to install it.

Glenn