Re: Debian's problems, Debian's future

I demand that Glenn McGrath may or may not have written...

[snip]
> I think it would much better to consider the metadata as two seperate types
> (required/optional) - metadata for the system: always used/loaded
>  - metadata for the user: retrieved as required

> e.g. The majority of the size of the Packages file comes from the package
> descriptions, descriptions arent required to install a package, only by
> some to choose to install it.

Maybe. But they're useful in deciding which of several similar packages to
install; and if "retrieved as required" means fetching from some remote
source, then your idea falls foul of systems such as mine, which uses dialup
and is configured to not connect between 08:00 and 18:00, Monday to Friday
(because it'd incur per-minute charging).

However, splitting the data into 'for the system' and 'for the user' is
definitely a good idea. And if that isn't enough, you could do something like
use several bins for package info, using a substring from or hash of the
package name, or stick it all in a db...

--
| Darren Salt       | linux (or ds) at | nr. Ashington,
| Linux PC, Risc PC | youmustbejoking  | Northumberland
| No Wodniws here   | demon co uk      | Toon Army
|   I don't ask for much, just untold riches...

Last yur I kudnt spel modjerater now I are won.