Re: Bochs, plex86 and vmware (Was: Re: sid: libc6-2.2.5-4 kills vmware workstation 3.0)

On Wed, Mar 27, 2002 at 09:37:14AM +1100, Brian May wrote:
> On Tue, Mar 26, 2002 at 07:05:48PM +0100, Jeroen Dekkers wrote:
> > You could try the free plex86 and/or bochs which are doing almost the
> > same things. They are even in Debian.
>
> How reliable are these? Last I looked, I saw this serious warning that
> running the kernel modules for plex86 could crash your computer, and I
> chickened out....

plex86 development stalled because of the economy going bad and almost
all developers were laid off. I hope the development will start soon
(plex86 is still busy moving to savannah at the moment).

I've heard that bochs is pretty stable and still under development,
but it's also slow because it emulates every instruction instead of
just visualizing the processor. Anyway, being free is enough for
me. It means that I can hack it if something annoys me.

Jeroen Dekkers
--
Jabber supporter - http://www.jabber.org Jabber ID: jdekkers@jabber.org
Debian GNU supporter - http://www.debian.org http://www.gnu.org