Re: What to do with a dead upstream popular application (IceWm) ?

On Tue, Mar 26, 2002 at 03:56:45PM +0100, Enrico Zini <zinie@students.cs.unibo.it> was heard to say:
> This is more a question than a proposal:  if the upstream has been
> declared dead and it seems that the package won't be supported never
> anymore, would it be possible to identify a substitute application
> (another window manager in this case) and (I'll speak for this case)
> make a new icewm package that depends on the other one and uses a script
> to convert the configuration files to the format used by the replacement
> window manager?

  I'd imagine that you could hack together a Lisp module for Sawfish
that would make it act like icewm.  I don't know about packaging it
under the same name, though -- perhaps something like "saw-ice"?

  Daniel

|                    "Do you know why the prisoner in the                     |
|                     tower watches the flight of birds?"                     |
|                      -- Terry Pratchett, _Reaper_Man_                       |
\-- Does your computer have Super Cow Powers? ------- http://www.debian.org --/