Re: debian/rules, automake

On Sat, Mar 23, 2002 at 10:45:08AM +0200, Hugo van der Merwe wrote:
> dh_make, and therefore most packages created with it, uses the following
> for installing:
>
> $(MAKE) install prefix=blabla
>
> An acquaintance that has more knowledge of autotools than I has tried to
> convince me that the *right* thing to do is to set DESTDIR instead of
> prefix. Looking at the Makefiles produced by automake, this does seem to
> make sense to me. Should dh_make maybe be changed to rather use DESTDIR?
>
> Existing packages that use prefix and work with it is fine, but
> apparently using prefix might break some software's installs. (If they
> do something fancy/strange in an "install-hook" type thing.)

This is generally correct for automake-based programs, but doesn't always
work with autoconf stuff.  Obviously your packages should use DESTDIR if
it can be done.

--
Joseph Carter <knghtbrd@bluecherry.net>     The guy with a rocket launcher

Anyone who stands out in the middle of a road looks like roadkill to me.
        -- Linus Torvalds