Re: inappropriate racist and other offensive material

"Chad C. Walstrom" <chewie@wookimus.net> wrote:

> Could we please drop this thread?  Just resolve to use common sense and
> let the users decide what packages to install.  The definition of
> "offensive" material will always be subjective, so apply some
> "subjective logic" (nice oxymoron there) to your packaging decisions.

I disagree -- these are big issues.  There are two questions in
particular:

First, should we *not* package offensive programs?  That is, if you
decide in your subjective opinion that a program is offensive, are you
on your honor as a Debian developer not to package it?  I would rather
it is allowed, actually, but I could live it either way.

Second, is it acceptible to sanitize offensive programs as they are
packaged?  I'm strongly against this one.  I'd like Debian packages to
reflect the upstream author's intent as much as possible.  Sure, move
things from /usr/man to /usr/share/man, or move a plugin from /usr/lib
to /usr/lib/proggie.  But don't change the text the program displays,
any more than you'd change the title of the program, or remove a level
you didn't like, or change the control-keys to be more emacsy.

-Lex