Re: inappropriate racist and other offensive material

On Fri, Mar 15, 2002 at 10:30:57PM -0400, Lex Spoon wrote:
> Second, is it acceptible to sanitize offensive programs as they are
> packaged?  I'm strongly against this one.  I'd like Debian packages to
> reflect the upstream author's intent as much as possible.  Sure, move
> things from /usr/man to /usr/share/man, or move a plugin from /usr/lib
> to /usr/lib/proggie.  But don't change the text the program displays,
> any more than you'd change the title of the program, or remove a level
> you didn't like, or change the control-keys to be more emacsy.

I think that the key is that any addition or change made by a Debian
Developer when packaging software should *add value* to the software.  I.E.,
adding man pages, adding an init script, applying bugfixes, etc.

I don't believe that censorship falls within the realm of adding value.

--Adam

--
Adam McKenna  <adam@debian.org>  <adam@flounder.net>