Re: inappropriate racist and other offensive material

On Wed, Mar 13, 2002 at 06:04:14PM +0000, Lazarus Long wrote:
> On Wed, Mar 13, 2002 at 12:47:25AM -0700, Adam Conrad wrote:

While I also deplore racism, if you're concerned about children being exposed
to ideas and attitudes that you consider unacceptable, then a quote buried in
an IRC script should be the /least/ of your concerns.  In close to ten years
on the Internet, I have *never* seen an IRC network to which I would apply
the words "polite society", and the probability of being exposed to
objectionable language and behavior coming from real IRC users is much
higher than the risks from a simple kick script.

If you're this worried about offensive speech, you should dpkg --purge all
packages with 'irc' in the name, and block IRC at the firewall.  End of
story.

Steve Langasek
postmodern programmer