Re: long daemon outages on upgrade

On Wed, Mar 13, 2002 at 04:54:37PM +0000, Mark Brown wrote:
> On Wed, Mar 13, 2002 at 09:59:16AM -0600, Adam Heath wrote:
>
> > The real problem, imho, is that apt leaves things in the unpacked and
> > unconfigured state too long.  I see no problem, with it doing partial
> > configures.
>
> > Ie, during an upgrade, when there are X number of unconfigured packages, go
> > and do a configure run.  However, the apt author doesn't want to do this, and
> > has given no good reason as to why.
>
> Another approach which has been suggested is that packages that
> shouldn't be left unconfigured for too long could be tagged by the admin
> (perhaps also in the packages file) and then upgraded and configured
> individually.
>
> The suggested workaround for now is to do this by hand.

Why don't we just write our maintainer scripts like this?:

* In the package prerm script:
	case "$1" in
	upgrade|failed-upgrade)
		# don't stop the daemon
		;;
	remove|deconfigure)
		# /etc/init.d/daemon stop
		;;
	esac

* In the package postinst script:
	/etc/init.d/daemon restart

As long as the init script is written such that it's not an error when
you try to stop a daemon that isn't running (IMO, that should not be an
error), I can't think of why the above wouldn't work.

--
G. Branden Robinson                |      "There is no gravity in space."
Debian GNU/Linux                   |      "Then how could astronauts walk