Re: SDL up for adoption

On Sat, Mar 02, 2002 at 06:47:29PM -0800, Joseph Carter wrote:
> On Sat, Mar 02, 2002 at 08:31:26PM -0500, Joe Drew wrote:
> > > This will probably involve bumping sonames (it is an incompatible change
> > > after all) and I have absolutely no idea what this is going to mean for
> > > the Loki games yet - chances of recompiles for most of them are probably
> > > pretty slim.
> >
> > The vast majority of them were linked statically, afaik, and even when
> > they supplied a dynamic executable it a) wasn't the default and b)
> > usually had any .so's required in the cwd. I don't think this is an
> > issue.
>
> It was for at least one title IIRC, but I'll have have to talk to ex-Loki
> guys to know if I'm just imagining things.

The stuff I worked on is less of this case, however with some of the
older stuff a /lot/ of people ended up the dynamic version to get things
working better on newer systems.

That said, a good bit of that was linked against 1.0.x and IIRC may have
some problems with current libs anyways, I'd suggest talking to some of
the other ExLoki guys about it.
(Knghtbrd, if you need to you can ask me on IRC who might be good to
ask.)

> I would really prefer to avoid having legacy old-broken-SDL libs on
> just two or three archs if it can be avoided.  SDL is a fairly big lib
> as it is without maintaining also a limited second copy which is
> promised to become obsolete soon, so I'm hoping you're right.

Ugh, quite.

Zephaniah E. Hull.
(Former Loki contractor.)

--
	1024D/E65A7801 Zephaniah E. Hull <warp@babylon.d2dc.net>
	   92ED 94E4 B1E6 3624 226D  5727 4453 008B E65A 7801