Re: SDL up for adoption

On Sat, Mar 02, 2002 at 08:31:26PM -0500, Joe Drew wrote:
> > This will probably involve bumping sonames (it is an incompatible change
> > after all) and I have absolutely no idea what this is going to mean for
> > the Loki games yet - chances of recompiles for most of them are probably
> > pretty slim.
>
> The vast majority of them were linked statically, afaik, and even when
> they supplied a dynamic executable it a) wasn't the default and b)
> usually had any .so's required in the cwd. I don't think this is an
> issue.

It was for at least one title IIRC, but I'll have have to talk to ex-Loki
guys to know if I'm just imagining things.  I would really prefer to avoid
having legacy old-broken-SDL libs on just two or three archs if it can be
avoided.  SDL is a fairly big lib as it is without maintaining also a
limited second copy which is promised to become obsolete soon, so I'm
hoping you're right.

--
Joseph Carter <knghtbrd@bluecherry.net>       Now I'll take over the world

In science it often happens that scientists say, 'You know that's a really
good argument; my position is mistaken,' and then they actually change
their minds and you never hear that old view from them again.  They really
do it.  It doesn't happen as often as it should, because scientists are
human and change is sometimes painful.  But it happens every day.  I cannot
recall the last time something like that happened in politics or religion.
        -- Carl Sagan, 1987 CSICOP keynote address