Re: Package splitting and upgrades

* Joe Wreschnig (piman@sacredchao.net) wrote:
> On Sun, 2002-03-03 at 13:44, Eric Dorland wrote:
> > I think perhaps the reason that there is little interest is that it
> > doesn't seems to be in debian at this time, and a lot of people can't
> > be bothered to install something that's not apt-getable (yes its
> > laziness :)
>
> This, IMO, is the crux of the problem for which the current state of
> Feta is merely a symptom (and the packaging of Feta will be a
> nonsolution, if nice). APT has a nicely (at least from an external
> viewpoint) designed multiple repository system. There is a nice list of
> available APT sources. Why is there not a program to
>  a) Read a list of APT sources (deb and deb-src).
>  b) Read the packages/versions/fields in them.
>  c) Add and remove lines to /etc/sources.list in a friendly manner using
> this information.
>  d) Some nice way to create pin files so as to make this system perfect.

That is a good idea, but it really doesn't solve the problem of
laziness. You're complaining that there's no interest, but you're not
making it easy for lazy developers to get it (ie just apt-get it, not
have to edit there sources.list). Also, personally, i don't like
sources outside of debian to my sources.list, since they don't have
the infrastructure behind them (bugs.debian.org, etc.) and they can
frequently create a mess if they are different packagings of packages
that are already in debian (the ximian stuff springs to mind). I'm
sure other developers feel similarly.

--
Eric Dorland <dorland@lords.com>
ICQ: #61138586, Jabber: hooty@jabber.com