Re: No PHP4 on arm keeps packages out of testing.

On Tue, Feb 26, 2002 at 01:02:21PM +1000, Anthony Towns wrote:
> On Tue, Feb 26, 2002 at 03:28:11AM +0100, Erich Schubert wrote:
> > Still, php4-dependant packages are being held in unstable and cannot
> > enter testing (unless they are arch: all).

> The solution is to ensure such packages aren't built. You can either fix
> arm or php4 (or both) so that they work together and the package isn't
> useless (and keep doing this on any other architectures where php4 might
> break), or you can stop your package from building on such architectures
> and declare them unsupported (most packages do this automatically by
> having the things the need listed in Build-Depends:).

It seems to me that a real issue here is, would a successful php4 build
on arm even be useful?  Given how long arm autobuilders take to build
such things, I have to wonder whether there are arm machines out there
that are powerful enough to make use of the software in question.  If
not, perhaps arch: !arm is the solution.

BTW, question for the arm people: the last time a build was actually
attempted for php4, it failed due to a toolchain error.  Are there known
issues on arm with the -O2 that php4 is using, or is there simply no
easy fix for this?

Steve Langasek
postmodern programmer