Re: Proposal to help Debian release on time

On Sun, Feb 24, 2002 at 11:12:23AM +0900, Junichi Uekawa wrote:
> Jeroen Dekkers <jeroen@dekkers.cx> cum veritate scripsit:
>
> > > It would help greatly. Doing this would probably give you
> > > more clue about Debian.
> >
> > I don't see why I need more clue about Debian. I also don't see why
> > you have to attack me personal by saying that I need more clue. Give
> > me arguments and facts instead, I can do something with that. Point me
> > to documentation talking about the things I was talking about and were
> > already implemented. But please, don't tell me what to do, I consider
> > myself old enough to decide that myself.
>
> No I am not attacking you personally.
> I am walking around recommending this mailing list to random people.

Okay, I might have interpreted you different than that you mean.

> debian-bugs-dist sends you a copy of every single Bug Tracking System
> mail. Skimming through it will give people an idea of
> what kind of bugs are holding up Debian.

I think the base.debian.net and standard.debian.net are good places. I
also read the list of RC bugs send to debian-devel-announce. I don't
think I can really cope the load of debian-bugs-dist, I'm already
subcribed to too many mailinglists.

> debian-devel-changes sends you a copy of every single Debian package
> changelog. Skimming through it will give an idea of
> what kind of activity Debian is getting.

It's a bit too high traffic for me and I see those changes of the
packages I'm interested in my daily apt-get run
anyhow. Apt-listchanges is also really great. :)

> Some experience in reading those lists would really help to
> understand the actual scale and speed that Debian is running at.

I'm just already subscribed to too many mailinglists.

> Really, Debian is a pretty poorly documented system,
> and it would really help if you could help improve that
> situation.

I'm used to poorly documented things. (People knowing the Hurd know
what I mean with this) :)

> Talking in debian-devel doesn't usually help, because it
> is deep underneath the high traffic, and people will forget,
> and will be difficult to find the specific mails
> in the mail archive.

That's why I want to write proposals about it. There are a lot of
changes I want to propose. I need time to research and give arguments
why to make those changes.

Jeroen Dekkers
--
Jabber supporter - http://www.jabber.org Jabber ID: jdekkers@jabber.org