Re: kissing exim

On Wed, Feb 20, 2002 at 12:32:59AM -0800, Martin Quinson wrote:

> I also have a dialup connexion, and my concern was the following: how could
> I make sure that exim tried to deliver all mails from the queue before I
> close the connexion ? I mean, if I make a mail with a really big
> attachement, click on the send button from my mua, and then, click
> immediatly on the button calling "poff". Obviously, the mail was not
> delivred. The only solution I've found is to look at a graphical monitor
> like gkrellm, and wait that the network interface is not used anymore.
> (my main problem is to explain that all to my wife and childrens...)
>
> I agree that this problem is not directly related to exim, but to ppp setup.
> I would like to have a something like /etc/ppp/ip-down.d, but which content
> would be runned *before* the connexion dies...

It has (fortunately) been some time since I had to use a dialup for my
primary means of network access, but I used to use diald for dial-on-demand.
This would also wait until there was no network access for a certain period
and then take the connection down automatically.  You could set rules based
on the type of traffic, to keep the connection open during web browsing
sessions for example.  It has a control panel which is very easy to use for
forcing the connection up and down.

Hope this helps.

--
 - mdz