Re: Debian doesn't have to be slower than time.

On Sat, Feb 16, 2002 at 05:09:59PM -0500, Christopher W. Curtis wrote:

> Just a minor thought/interjection: mightn't the entire processes be
> speeded up if developers were _encouraged_ to use 'testing' as their
> distribution?  And I mean "encouraged to" like "publicly flamed and beaten
> soundly for not".
>
> The only reason I say that is that testing simply gives a more stable, in
> general, way to keep on top of new developments, but does little to
> nothing to getting a new release out.  On the other hand, if developers
> aren't even able to update to their own latest packages until they filter
> into testing, the distribution as a whole remains more suitable for
> release, because things like library dependencies are kept better in sync
> and safe updates should filter in more quickly.

If developers ran testing, then the waiting period for a package to move
into testing would be useless, and we would have the same situation as
before testing was implemented.  It doesn't exist to slow down development;
it exists so that developers (and autobuilders) can test out the package _in
unstable_ before it is even considered for release.

--
 - mdz