Re: More problems with Debian and list SPAM

On Fri, Feb 15, 2002 at 09:41:09AM -0600, Steve Langasek wrote:
> On Fri, Feb 15, 2002 at 09:25:39AM -0600, Nathan E Norman wrote:
> > On Thu, Feb 14, 2002 at 08:15:54PM -0600, Ean Schuessler wrote:
> > > Here is yet another example of a Debian subscriber filing spam
> > > complaints against Brainfood for spam on Debian lists. We need to arrive
> > > at a solution. This is causing serious issues for us.
>
> > First, I do support implementation of a scheme like moderation for
> > unknown posters, or tmda.  Something needs to be done.
>
> > However, I'm wondering: what happens to people who erroneously report
> > the source of spam, as you have demonstrated here?  Such
> > "ready-fire-aim" behavior may make the spam recipient feel better, but
> > no real damage is done to the spammer, and real damage is done to
> > debian.  Therefore, I feel people who aren't responsible enough to
> > investigate the true source of spam before reporting the debian lists
> > as the source should be removed from the debian lists.
>
> A good idea in principal -- but if we take that approach, will we
> succeed in ridding the lists of idiots before Brainfood is forced to
> pull the plug?

Possibly not ... however, there's no compelling reason to leave the
idiots subscribed after they've done damage.  In fact, brainfood
could then claim they've "solved" the problem by removing the spam
recipient from the list.  People who report debian as the source of
spam do not deserve to be a member of the debian lists community (yes,
that is a value judgement :)

However, the real answer lies in my first paragraph.  We need a scheme
to keep spam off the lists.  I think unknown poster moderation would
work well; though of course then you need moderators.  I'll regret
saying it but I could help out, for a few lists anyway.  The other
moderation issue is "what indicates a known poster"; someone else
suggested the known poster list should be the union of subscribed
addresses for all debian lists.

Lars likes tmda; I don't know much about it though at least one person
whose opinion I respect is using it for his personal email (hi Adam).
What are the issues with tmda?

Regards,

Micromuse Ltd.                 | than a perfect plan tomorrow.