Re: It's Huntin' Season

 Thomas> Manoj Srivastava <srivasta@debian.org> writes:
> [...]
 Thomas> It tells people to put files in /etc which are really not conffiles,
 Thomas> and aren't marked as such

 >> I think you are wrong. If I am the one in error, quote
 >> chapter and verse, please. Where exactly does it say that?

 Thomas> Please help me understand the situation.  But here's what I'm believe
 Thomas> to be true now:

 Thomas> All files which a given package asks to have emacs run on startup are
 Thomas> required to go in /etc by Emacs Policy--there isn't any other place
 Thomas> provided for it.

	Partially correct -- my site-start.d files sometimes load
 other files not in /etc and then invoke functions defined there.

	As I have said elsewhere, /etc is supposed to be for
 configuration stuff, so it dod not make sense shipping ``programs''
 under /etc.

	Of course, One tries to make these ``programs'' as
 configurable as possible, and the /etc file sets some
 variable to configure the behaviour (just like configuration
 files are supposed to do)

 Thomas> Some of those files are not really configuration files, but
 Thomas> are simply part of installing the package.

	The why the hell are they not in with the package?

 Thomas> For example, they extend emacs by providing access to a new
 Thomas> program--in exactly the same kind of way that installing a
 Thomas> new binary in /bin extends the shell.

	Then follow the common sense examp[le of the binary -- don't
 ship the .el/.elc file under /etc, ship them where other ``program''
 .el and .elc files live.

	Why is this so hard to fathom?

 Thomas> Debian Policy is correct by requiring everything in /etc to be a
 Thomas> conffile.

	We agree here.

 Thomas> Emacs Policy, by requiring startup files, even ones that are
 Thomas> not configuration files, to be in /etc, thus in effect
 Thomas> requires that they always be conffiles.

	Non configuration files should not be unser star6t.d directories.

 Thomas> Is it clear what the problem is here?

	I do not think there is a problem at all.

	manoj

--
 LILO, you've got me on my knees! David Black, dblack@pilot.njin.net,
 with apologies to Derek and the Dominos, and Werner Almsberger