Re: It's Huntin' Season

> >>"Thomas" == Thomas Bushnell, BSG <tb@becket.net> writes:
>
>  >> Could you explain to me, please, exactly what bits of the
>  >> emacs policy are wrong? I seem to have missed those.
>
>  Thomas> It tells people to put files in /etc which are really not conffiles,
>  Thomas> and aren't marked as such
>
> 	I think you are wrong. If I am the one in error, quote
>  chapter and verse, please. Where exactly does it say that?

Please help me understand the situation.  But here's what I'm believe
to be true now:

All files which a given package asks to have emacs run on startup are
required to go in /etc by Emacs Policy--there isn't any other place
provided for it.

Some of those files are not really configuration files, but are simply
part of installing the package.  For example, they extend emacs by
providing access to a new program--in exactly the same kind of way
that installing a new binary in /bin extends the shell.

Debian Policy is correct by requiring everything in /etc to be a
conffile.

Emacs Policy, by requiring startup files, even ones that are not
configuration files, to be in /etc, thus in effect requires that they
always be conffiles.

Is it clear what the problem is here?

Thomas