Re: SPAM vs. open list

On Sun, 10 Feb 2002 10:52, Ean Schuessler wrote:
> Actually, I've been meaning to say something about this for some time.
> We host murphy (the list server) here at Brainfood and I have actually
> had some number of formal spam complaints (6 or 7) registered against
> murphy by its own subscribers! The bitch of this is that they are
> reporting it as abuse to my ISP who has been leaning on me to do
> something about SPAM from the Debian mailing lists.

Well posting that will just encourage people to make such complaints!

I use SpamCop.  I report many spams (it's quite common for me to report 20
spams in a day), so sometimes I don't check the list of people who the report
is to go to well enough, on at least one occasion I have accidentally sent a
report to a list-master (and I may well have accidentally submitted one of
the 6 or 7 complaints that you refer to).

The problem is that when you get huge amounts of spam you are limited in the
amount of care that you can apply towards reporting it.  When I was getting
only a few spams a day I could check them well.  Maybe when something is done
about the Debian lists my spam load will go down enough that I can go back to
spending 10 minutes per spam to make sure that the report is correct.