Re: SPAM vs. open list

Actually, I've been meaning to say something about this for some time.
We host murphy (the list server) here at Brainfood and I have actually
had some number of formal spam complaints (6 or 7) registered against
murphy by its own subscribers! The bitch of this is that they are
reporting it as abuse to my ISP who has been leaning on me to do
something about SPAM from the Debian mailing lists.

Its a ridiculous situation.

So, we really do need to do something about this. Either subscribers to
Debian lists need to understand that they are potentially signing up for
SPAM and we have it in the "Usage Policy" for list subscription or we
need to close postings to everyone except subscribers.

Frankly, its not such a terrible burden to sign up for a mailing list
and its not like -devel and -private are running low on mail from their
subscribers as it is.

So, yes! Please! Lets do something about SPAM on the lists.

(At the very least we could write a script that sends non-subscribers
back a usage agreement and holds their mail until they send back an
affirmation to our usage policy. This would help us from a legal
perspective as well.)

Ean Schuessler                                      ean@brainfood.com
Brainfood, Inc.                              http://www.brainfood.com