Re: localeconf package

On Sat, 2002-02-09 at 07:08, Martin Butterweck wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I think the localeconf package should be removed from debian.

Hmm.  Let's just start off on the wrong foot, why don't we?

One could, for example, list the shortcomings of a package and see what
the package maintainer says, or file bugs where the package comes up
short, before recommending that a package maintainer's hard work just be
trashed, and in a public forum no less.

> It offers a
> debconf interface to configure locales, but the locales package has it's own
> (and better) debconf interface now (for example, locales supports generating
> more than one locale, localeconf doesn't).

Indeed; this is the only functionality supported by locales that isn't
supported by localeconf.

Localeconf, on the other hand, allows you to set the LC_* variables, as
well as LANG, should you want to.  Any locale information set for LANG
or LC_* is generated automatically.  It also contains a configlet, which
allows one to configure all of this stuff in one of several possible
GUIs, including a GNOME Control Center capplet.  Oh, and did I forget to
mention that the configlet will also configure your X keyboard settings?

In other words, the only thing missing from localeconf is the ability to
generate locale information for locales that you aren't currently using.

By itself, your report about not respecting the information present in
the locales configuration is a valid one, and one that will be
addressed.  However, I think that your assessment of localeconf's
advantages is borne of ignorance.

> Moreover, locales debconf interface
> doesnt work if it finds a /etc/locale.gen generated by localeconf - the
> packages get in each others way. I had to manually delete /etc/locale.gen to
> get everythink working. Many users could get into problems because of this.

So file a bug.

Oh, that's right, you did file a bug, in which you similarly lambasted
localeconf's right to exist, and I replied in a nice and polite manner
concerning how your specific problem was valid, but your general
solution (nuke localeconf) was overkill for the situation.

In the meantime, you can always remove localeconf and not use it.  It is
priority optional, after all; it's not like Debian forces it down your
throat.