Re: Debian is slower than time (was: adrian's 2.4.x packages)

On Thu, Feb 07, 2002 at 12:35:48AM -0600, Adam Majer wrote:
> On Wed, Feb 06, 2002 at 11:07:02PM -0600, Steve Langasek wrote:
> > On Wed, Feb 06, 2002 at 10:48:09PM -0600, Adam Majer wrote:

> > > I've heard about Debconf long time ago. Way before I even tried to maintain
> > > anything. But the comment above is rather stupid. It's like saying
> > > "You don't know about DirectX AND you consider yourself a programmer?"

> > > AFAIK, packages should comply with Debian Policy and Debconf is just like
> > > debhelper, a tool.. Using whiptail and a good script one can go without
> > > debconf quite easily for some questions.

> > Save only that using whiptail directly in place of debconf shows a lack
> > of cluefulness that, in a Debian Developer, would be frightening.

> Oh give me a break. I guess you would say the same for people not using
> debhelper but writing their own rules from scratch.

No.  How you create your packages is your own damn business.  How your
packages interact with the user at install time is a matter that affects
the whole of Debian, and can interfere with initiatives such as the FAI.

Steve Langasek
postmodern programmer