Re: Debian is slower than time (was: adrian's 2.4.x packages)

On Sun, Feb 03, 2002 at 02:31:27AM -0700, John Galt wrote:

> Debconf is not mandatory....  Quit inventing problems.

No kidding... I never needed to use debconf before. Or any other
config scripts for that matter.

> On Sat, 2 Feb 2002, Martin Michlmayr wrote:
>
> >* Adam Majer <adamm@galacticasoftware.com> [20020201 01:24]:
> >> I'll have to agree with you completelly on this one. I've been in
> >> the Process for over 2-3 (lost track!) months now [officially and
> >> not so officially].  Personally, I don't mind wating a bit
> >
> >* Adam Majer <adamm@galacticasoftware.com> [20020131 21:03]:
> >> Ahh! Debconf... Thanks. It appears that is what I was looking for.
> >> [I'm new and confused :-]
> >
> >So you have been in the NM process for "2-3 (lost track!) months" and
> >still haven't heard about debconf in that time AND you want an account
> >so you can upload to Debian's archives?  Personally, I'm glad you
> >don't mind waiting a bit because you certainly need to learn a few
> >more things...

I've heard about Debconf long time ago. Way before I even tried to maintain
anything. But the comment above is rather stupid. It's like saying
"You don't know about DirectX AND you consider yourself a programmer?"

AFAIK, packages should comply with Debian Policy and Debconf is just like
debhelper, a tool.. Using whiptail and a good script one can go without
debconf quite easily for some questions.

People should stop reading between the lines.

- Adam