Re: It's Huntin' Season

>>"Peter" == Peter S Galbraith <psg@mixed.dyndns.org> writes:

 Peter> Manoj Srivastava <srivasta@debian.org> wrote:
 >> >>"Peter" == Peter S Galbraith <p.galbraith@globetrotter.net> writes:

 Peter> Emacs policy dictates that elisp files that are eval'ed at
 Peter> Emacs startup go under /etc/emacs.  However, these aren't
 Peter> necessarily configuration files

 >> Say what?
 >>
 >> When I load an emacs start up file, typically the behacviour
 >> of emacs changes. For example, auc tex, cperl, psgml, et. al. replace
 >> the default handling of certain files with wildly different
 >> behaviour.

 Peter> The key word being 'typically' where I said 'aren't
 Peter> necessarily'.

	I'll bite. If thew file is not changing the behaviour of the
 program, I can safely remove it and notice no difference, right? So
 what the heck is it doing there in the first place?

 Peter> Certainly some or perhaps most Emacs startup files override some other
 Peter> Emacs mode, but some startup files simply tell Emacs where to find new
 Peter> commands (auto-loads), or associate a file extension previously unknown
 Peter> to Emacs with a new major mode.

	The latter definitely changes program behaviour, and certainly
  the autoloads can be argued to do so. Yes, the change in behaviour
  is likely to be benign, but change it is.

	And thus the policy comes into play.

	manoj
--
 NEWS FLASH *** Archeologists find PDP-11/24 inside brain cavity of
 fossilized dinosaur skeleton!  Many Digital users fear that RSX-11M