Re: It's Huntin' Season

Manoj Srivastava <srivasta@debian.org> wrote:

> >>"Peter" == Peter S Galbraith <p.galbraith@globetrotter.net> writes:
>
>  Peter> Emacs policy dictates that elisp files that are eval'ed at
>  Peter> Emacs startup go under /etc/emacs.  However, these aren't
>  Peter> necessarily configuration files
>
> 	Say what?
>
> 	When I load an emacs start up file, typically the behacviour
>  of emacs changes. For example, auc tex, cperl, psgml, et. al. replace
>  the default handling of certain files with wildly different
>  behaviour.

The key word being 'typically' where I said 'aren't necessarily'.
Certainly some or perhaps most Emacs startup files override some other
Emacs mode, but some startup files simply tell Emacs where to find new
commands (auto-loads), or associate a file extension previously unknown
to Emacs with a new major mode.

>  Peter> Tagging them as conffiles has the drawback that it leaves crud
>  Peter> on the system when you remove instead of purge the package.
>
> 	That is true of all conffiles.

True.  But if they're not really configuration files (in certain cases),
that's not helpful.

Peter