Re: Two suggestions for woody release

On Thu, Feb 07, 2002 at 04:26:47AM +0100, Anders Jackson wrote:
> Rob Mahurin <rob@utk.edu> writes:
> [...]
> > What would help would be a clearer manual page (I'd offer to write it,
> > but I don't understand how it works!) and an example in
> > /usr/share/doc/apt/examples, with explanatory comments.
> >
> > I'll go back to userland now.
>
> No! Please, don't!
>
> You are (probably) a perfect person to do this!
>
> Instead, write what you understands about apt in a web-page.  Give the
> URL here and ask if you got it right.  You will probably get it wrong
> and lots of answers.  Read them, and the manual pages, and improve
> your document and ask again.  In this way are you bound to be an expert
> in apt config files.
>
> It takes a real hero, not afraid of misunderstanding, to writing this.
> Are you one? ;-)

Maybe.  I have to admit that I'm more interested in my wife and my
coursework than in apt's config files :)

I'll make you a deal: if you guys can help me figure out how it works,
I'll write the doc.  I know you're all busy guys, so I'll make it a
two-mouse-stroke contribution: if you have a working
/etc/apt/preferences file, just say

mutt rob@utk.edu -s "apt preferences example" \
     -a /etc/apt/preferences -a /etc/apt/sources.list < /dev/null

and poof!  you've taught me something.  If you have an extra sixty
seconds it'd be nice if you can tell me what your setup does.

Thanks,

Rob

--
Plastic...  Aluminum...  These are the inheritors of the Universe!
Flesh and Blood have had their day... and that day is past!