Re: Relocatable packages

On Sun, Feb  3, 2002 at 16:18:02 +0100 (+0000), Wichert Akkerman wrote:
> Previously Bernhard R. Link wrote:
> > * Nikita V. Youshchenko <yoush@cs.msu.su> [020203 15:47]:
> > > What if you need 2 versions of the same package?
> >
> > That might be a reason when you first look at it. But this is quite a
> > complex situation. Supporting multiple versions of one package is quite
> > more difficult than simple relocation.
>
> Indeed, and dpkg will not ever support that. Rpm does that and it is
> a path I don't want to follow.

Whilst I don't want two versions installed, it would be really, really nice
(tm) if you could install a package, then if you decided it was bad, try and
rollback.  dpkg does this up to a point, however it would be nice to go
further.  Probably the most you can do is to take a copy of all the files
listed in the package.  If the package does other things, that's just tough
- nobody's perfect.

Adrian

Email: adrian.bridgett@iname.com
Windows NT - Unix in beta-testing. GPG/PGP keys available on public key servers
Debian GNU/Linux  -*-  By professionals for professionals  -*-  www.debian.org