Re: Spam (Re: Urgent Investment)

on Mon, Jan 28, 2002 at 03:50 PM -0500, Matt Zimmerman (mdz@debian.org) wrote:

> >  Matt> The only measure that seems to work is restricting list postings to
> >  Matt> subscribers only.  Unfortunately, this is also a major inconvenience for
> >  Matt> those who use the list legitimately.
> >
> > 	I would not go so far as to say that is the _only_ measure
> >  that works. I have had very few leaks, using a combination of
> >  mailagent, incorporating spamassassin and razor feedback, along with
> >  a home grown spammers lists.
>
> I looked into spamassassin shortly after I sent that message, and I am
> pretty pleased with it (though it seems to regularly mis-flag messages on
> debian-bugs-dist due to #131317).

Create a whitelist rule to bypass this.

> But the messages still need to be filtered, and it can't be 100% (or even
> 99%) accurate, so that dropping messages on the server side is not an
> option, and the human subscribers would still have to sift through the
> messages.

I'd say a suitable bounce, indicating a potential spam, with an invalid
return address, might address many of the concerns here.  A very small
handful of newbies would be rejected, and they would be informed of
same, with possible steps to repair the issue.

Peace.

We freed Dmitry! Boycott Adobe! Repeal the DMCA! http://www.freesklyarov.org