Re: Trying to fix slang

On Fri, Feb 01, 2002 at 02:07:37PM +0900, Tomohiro KUBOTA wrote:
> > > http://dickey.his.com/xterm/xterm.faq.html
> >
> > Just because there's an faq on a bug, doesnt mean it isnt a bug.
>
> We, i18n@xfree86 people, are now planning to improve xterm to
> determine the encoding by checking the current locale.  See:
>
> http://www.xfree86.org/pipermail/i18n/2002-January/002947.html

I think Blars was complaining about the differences in the xterm
terminfo entry between versions.  This is, indeed, an annoying problem,
though I've never heard of it breaking xterm compatibility *completely*.

The issue in this thread was that the terminfo caps acsc, enacs, smacs and
rmacs need to change when in UTF-8.  (I posed this to Dickey; he said he'd
have to think about it and I'm waiting for a further response.)  I do think
this should be handled differently, since it can (theoretically) apply to
any terminal type.  Having to make a terminal type for terminals with UTF-8
enabled would be a mess.

--
Glenn Maynard