Re: woody: Remaining RC bugs in base system

On Wed, Jan 30, 2002 at 09:09:56AM -0700, Bdale Garbee wrote:
> hartmans@debian.org (Sam Hartman) writes:
>
> > So a new ncurses should not have been uploaded, especially if it is
> > incompatible, unless it is targeted for woody.
>
> If our current release process mandates that maintainers delay uploading new
> functionality into unstable, then either it's broken and needs to be fixed,
> or we need to figure out how to turn the crank on a release in days, and not
> months.
>
> Releasing is important.  Maintaining forward progress in unstable is important.
> Having to pick one of the two at any given moment is frustrating, at best.

Again seconded.

For the record: The new ncurses is targetted for woody, because it
fixes bugs.  It also introduces new functionality.  I was going to hold
off on the new functionality; I held off on it for a good number of
months, and eventually after some discussion and thought decided to
stop holding off.  Among my other reasons was the global sense that we
are not making progress so swiftly towards release that it would
introduce problems.  Call it irresponsible if you will, but I consider
it accurate.

I'll probably be doing it again, too, to fix the entire slew of
Home/End bugs.  That depends on the outcome of my current conversation
with upstream, of course.