Re: State of debianutils

On Wed, Jan 30, 2002 at 04:59:48PM +0100, Tollef Fog Heen wrote:

> * Matt Zimmerman
>
> | I have a small collection of Debian-specific utilities which have been
> | looking for a home.  I do not want to package them separately, as they are
> | very small and belong in a collection.  debianutils seemed like the right
> | place, but from looking at its bug list, which includes several submissions
> | of new tools, I didn't bother submitting them.
>
> If they are useful for most Debian systems, they could be included.
> IMHO, debianutils should not include any utility which _could_ be
> useful somewhere, it's an essential: yes and priority: required package.

I am talking about a very small number of very small scripts, but I
understand your concern.  I have considered the following names:

debianutils-extra
debscripts (by analogy to devscripts)
debiantools
scriptlets

suggestions?  The trouble is that all of these names overlap with
debianutils, which tells me that its name is too generic for its restricted
purpose.

Then again, if a new package is going to be created, it might as well
contain similar tools of a non-Debian nature, so perhaps a more generic name
would work.

--
 - mdz