Re: Two suggestions for woody release

On Tue, Jan 29, 2002 at 10:26:56PM -0800, Thomas Bushnell, BSG wrote:
> Anthony Towns <aj@azure.humbug.org.au> writes:
>
> > On Tue, Jan 29, 2002 at 10:18:43PM -0800, Thomas Bushnell, BSG wrote:
> > >      apt-get --distribution=sid install FOO
> >
> > apt-get install -t unstable foo
> > apt-get install foo/unstable
> >
> > both work, if you've got a recent enough apt. And
> >
> > apt-get source -b foo
> >
> > often works too. It helps if you're familiar with the existing tools
> > before going off on "wouldn't it be nice if" digressions.
>
> 1) Note that developers don't actually suggest this to users (at least
>    not the friends of mine who have had the problem described).

This may be a case of a great feature that's not (yet) well known.
The fact that you have to upgrade to the apt in testing before any of
this works may be a factor.

You can even do "apt-get install package=version" ... that's been very
helpful.

> 2) Does the resulting install automatically track the upgraded package
>    from the new distribution?

Yes, unless you have set the pin priorities to favour testing or
stable (whatever your base is).

There was a good discussion on pinning and /etc/apt/preferences on
d-user a few weeks ago.  It should be in the archive.  If you want an
example preferences file, I'll be happy to share - I don't claim to be
an apt expert but I'm sure I have more free time than aj :)

Regards,

Micromuse Ltd.                 | than a perfect plan tomorrow.