Re: debian on distrowatch

On Tue, Jan 29, 2002 at 01:55:19PM -0600, Michael Stroucken wrote:
> On Tue, Jan 29, 2002 at 05:02:41PM +0100, Jeroen Dekkers wrote:
> > On Mon, Jan 28, 2002 at 06:54:26PM -0600, Michael Stroucken wrote:
> > > If tpc.int can get the int domain for their worldwide fax network, why
> > > can't debian?
> > To quote from http://www.isi.edu/div7/int/:
> >
> > "To register in the INT domain, the applicant must comply with the
> > requirements found in RFC 1591. In brief, the INT domain is used only
> > for registering organizations established by international treaties
> > between governments or Internet infrastructure databases (for example
> > to do address to name lookups based on NSAPs)."
>
> 	I am familiar with that text. tpc.int is another volunteer project,
> however, and they registered their domain after the rfc had been released.

I did some research, I hope I'm not telling things you already. The
tcp.int subdomain is specified in RFC 1528, 1529 and 1520. The meaning
of the tcp.int domain is standardized by the IETF. I.e.
0.1.5.2.8.6.9.5.1.4.1.tpc.int has some special meaning. I think that's
the reason they are able to have that domain.

From the http://www.itu.int/net/int/int-policy-09.htm document:
"The .INT domain is NOT intended for non-governmental (e.g., NGOs),
commercial, or private organizations even if they may have an
international character."

I see debian as a private organization with an international
character, so I don't think we will ever get an .INT domain. But
what's wrong with debian.org? .ORG is also international.

Jeroen Dekkers
--
Jabber supporter - http://www.jabber.org Jabber ID: jdekkers@jabber.org
Debian GNU supporter - http://www.debian.org http://www.gnu.org