[OT] absolute control in schools

On Tue, Jan 29, 2002 at 12:36:32PM +1100, Russell Coker wrote:
> > > Doesn't they have propper, importent things to do?  Like managing
> > > servers and stuff?  Talk about waisting time and money!
> >
> > 	It seems to be the business of schools nowadays to harass their
> > students while in and out of school. Perhaps to turn them into nice,
> > compliant citizens who don't dare to challenge authority later on.
>
> It also shows students how when you have power you can make up arbitary rules
> to make life miserable for those unfortunate enough to be under your power.
> The lesson learnt from this can be "fascism is bad" or "fascism can be fun if
> you're the fascist dictator" depending on the personality of the student.
>
> If we captured Taliban fighters and put them in conditions similar to our
> high schools then I'm sure that some human-rights organizations would
> complain.

Yeah, is there already something like Edusty International?
Allowing students learn things they find interesting and important,
instead of things they _have_ to learn.

I bet in 10 years, we all want to crash into big buildings with
big airplanes.

regards,

Gerhard.  (my real name, no FBI in europe :)