Re: SPAM vs. open list

In article <[🔎] 20020129132819.GB25072@wurtel.net>,
Paul Slootman  <paul@debian.org> wrote:
>On Tue 29 Jan 2002, Juha Jäykkä wrote:
>> guess the amount of non-subscriber postings is quite low, so this makes me
>> think of an alternative solution: Why not moderate the postings of
>> non-subscribers? It would be easy to stop the spams at moderators and let
>> valid mails through.
>
>Of those non-subscriber emails, let those through that have
>something@debian.org in the To: or Cc: headers (maybe also From: ?), and
>moderate the rest.

Most mailinglist software already has that option. It stops about
50% of the spam, the other 50% has debian-devel@lists.debian.org
in the From: header (and more spam is working like that every day)

>And of course drop those with =?ks_c_5601-1987 in
>the subject (this works great :-)

If you'd filter the non-subscriber emails through spamassasin,
wouldn't that be enough? I.e. set spamassasin up as the moderator?
I'm thinking of doing just that on the mailinglists I run.

Mike.