Re: SPAM vs. open list

On Tue 29 Jan 2002, Juha Jäykkä wrote:

>   It seems we have an agreement on not closing the list to subscribers
> only as a measure against spam. Spam is irritating, how ever and I would

It's apparently also very much on the increase, much more than half the
spam I receive is via de debian mailing lists.

> guess the amount of non-subscriber postings is quite low, so this makes me
> think of an alternative solution: Why not moderate the postings of
> non-subscribers? It would be easy to stop the spams at moderators and let
> valid mails through.

Of those non-subscriber emails, let those through that have
something@debian.org in the To: or Cc: headers (maybe also From: ?), and
moderate the rest.  And of course drop those with =?ks_c_5601-1987 in
the subject (this works great :-)

Paul Slootman