Re: first problem solved, another found with libtool

On Mon, Jan 28, 2002 at 04:32:06PM -0500, Glenn Maynard wrote:
> Err, that's not useless, it's what libtool uses to allow linking
> libraries without having to "make install" after every build.

> > it can be observed by anybody having installed lib{p,a}spell-dev,
> > please use "grep dependency_libs /usr/lib/lib{p,a}spell.la".

> Why are .la files ending up in /usr/lib?  AFAIK, they're just libtool's
> working files in .../.libs, and only .so and .a files should ever get
> installed.  I see quite a number of them in /usr/lib.  (Look at it; note
> that it has information about how the library is going to be installed,
> etc; it's not meant to be installed itself.)

> > i am thinking at editing with sed the various *.la files. will it be
> > sufficient?

> The dependency_libs entry is correct, and isn't a problem.  I'm more
> interested in knowing why *.la files are being installed at all.

The .la files contain dependency information that can be used to aid in
calculating dependency trees when linking applications against the
libraries.  Applications that build using libtool are thus spared from
maintainer error when identifying library dependencies by hand, which is
only right, given how much else is inflicted on users of libtool.

Steve Langasek
postmodern programmer