Re: first problem solved, another found with libtool

On Mon, Jan 28, 2002 at 03:49:23PM -0600, Steve Langasek wrote:
> The .la files contain dependency information that can be used to aid in
> calculating dependency trees when linking applications against the
> libraries.  Applications that build using libtool are thus spared from
> maintainer error when identifying library dependencies by hand, which is
> only right, given how much else is inflicted on users of libtool.

Isn't that only needed for static linking?

I'd suggest that, if they're really needed, they not go in /usr/lib; perhaps
/usr/lib/libtool/.  They're data files for libtool, not libraries.

(Does libtool actually find *.la files in /usr/lib?)

--
Glenn Maynard