Re: first problem solved, another found with libtool

By the way, is there any consensus on whether it's libtool's job to
handle this dependency?  (I think it is.)

On Fri, Jan 25, 2002 at 07:03:18PM +0100, Domenico Andreoli wrote:
> the thing seems to work, libpspell shared is now linked against libstdc++
> and libtool depends go well but... hey... they contain a long and useless
> "-L/home/cavok/archive/debian_working/pspell/pspell-0.12.2/modules/.libs"!!

Err, that's not useless, it's what libtool uses to allow linking
libraries without having to "make install" after every build.

> it can be observed by anybody having installed lib{p,a}spell-dev,
> please use "grep dependency_libs /usr/lib/lib{p,a}spell.la".

Why are .la files ending up in /usr/lib?  AFAIK, they're just libtool's
working files in .../.libs, and only .so and .a files should ever get
installed.  I see quite a number of them in /usr/lib.  (Look at it; note
that it has information about how the library is going to be installed,
etc; it's not meant to be installed itself.)

> i am thinking at editing with sed the various *.la files. will it be
> sufficient?

The dependency_libs entry is correct, and isn't a problem.  I'm more
interested in knowing why *.la files are being installed at all.

--
Glenn Maynard