Re: debian on distrowatch

On Sat, Jan 26, 2002 at 10:13:24PM +0100, Bernd Eckenfels wrote:
> on Distrowatch there are 2 Distreibutions labeled as "Free". For Debian you
> name a price of $10. This looks wrong to me.

Certainly this is so.

> Also the Origin of Debian is not "USA". You can say "World" or "Internet".
> Debian has more than 1 CD.

I'll agree with the "Internet" origin.  Debian currently takes about 5 CDs
(again, stable only) and woody is likely to take at least 6.  Sid takes ..
a lot more.

> I am not sure if KDE is the default Desktop, but AFAIK Gnome is equally well
> supported. I dont know how good the Asian Language Support is considered to
> e part of the Distribution, but there is defintely some.

Debian does not have a default desktop.  KDE and Gnome are provided, you
get to decide which you want.

Even worse-sounding than the things on distrowatch which are clearly wrong
are the breakdown of versions.  Either they do not track our revisions, or
I can virtually guarantee that a system purchased today will not be usable
with potato.

This was bad enough with slink where some added controllers were not yet
supported since you could at least get slink booted long enough to get
slink.5 and use that.  With potato the problem is even worse because we
have the situation where people with a new system will find certain common
modems, nics, and even motherboards which are listed as supported on the
hardware compatibility sites can't even install potato.  Spend US$70 on a
video card which is manufactured today and I could gamble it would not be
supported at anything above VGA16 pretty safely.

I cannot any longer lend someone my potato CDs and expect them to be able
to install Debian from it as a new user.  It is only because I already
have a Debian installation from which to build custom disk sets that I can
install potato on a new machine at all.  It's too bad the Debian-based
dists have not been successful at finding a market.  They could perhaps
fill this void which Debian seems unable to.

All of that said, sid is a reasonably good set of packages.  Mostly
stable on my machine - probably more so than the electrical system which
powers it, actually.  There isn't a simple way to install it, but I've got
a cdrw and a sit "base" chroot.

--
Joseph Carter <knghtbrd@bluecherry.net>               Crazy in the coconut

* joeyh_ runs ps and sees 10 lines of awk code
* joeyh_ recoils in horror