Re: debian on distrowatch

> > I am not sure if KDE is the default Desktop, but AFAIK Gnome is equally well
> > supported. I dont know how good the Asian Language Support is considered to
> > e part of the Distribution, but there is defintely some.
>
> Debian does not have a default desktop.  KDE and Gnome are provided, you
> get to decide which you want.

I think we should label "Gnome" as the default desktop.
Because when you install the "desktop" task, you currently end up with
gdm and gnome running (at least on an ibook2 powerpc, where i helped a
friend installing a week ago).

Asian Language Support probably is as good as in any other non-native
Asian Distribution, if not better.
At least the boot-floppies on powerpc were displaying some asian
language for choice during install (sorry, i could not read these chars,
but i'm pretty sure they are asian ;)
There are several asian "Tasks" available as well, as well as emacs
"mule" versions - and i have seen lot's of screenshots displaying asian
characters as well.
I think lot's of web pages are translated into asian languages as well,
as do some Package Descriptions and Locales.
So i think it should be quite good ;)

> All of that said, sid is a reasonably good set of packages.  Mostly
> stable on my machine - probably more so than the electrical system which
> powers it, actually.  There isn't a simple way to install it, but I've got
> a cdrw and a sit "base" chroot.

Well, sid is fine, woody still a bit messy i think, but i DO like potato
very much, as well. Security.debian.org is great, and my potato server
has been up since it had to be powered down because of the room's fuse
had to be upgraded...
Two sceduled downtimes a year, no crashes, no security problems here
- that's as good as it could get, actually.

Greetings,
Erich