Re: Help! Can't build a kernel that mounts root on ABIT BP6

This will be my last post on this thread to -devel.

Adam C Powell IV wrote:

Scott Dier wrote:

* Adam C Powell IV <hazelsct@mit.edu> [020124 12:35]:

VFS: Cannot open root device "301" or 03:01

This new kernel might be loading a hpt366 driver *and* the onboard IDE
driver, therefore, if your hard drive is on a ata66 channel, it will
show up as hde.

Indeed, I have disks on both controllers, so I'm pretty sure it's loading both drivers.

But I don't believe it's confusing the two and having the PIIX4 show up as hde-h and the HPT366 as hda-d. I remember seeing something in the boot messages that led me to believe it was detecting the drives as hda,b,c,d,f,g as usual, but can't remember for sure. Also, it doesn't make sense to me that this part of the detection would work with Debian kernel-source, but not with stock Linux nor with IDE-patched Linux.

I'll try to check this tomorrow morning.

Okay, root=/dev/hde doesn't work, so that wasn't the problem.

One other thing: it seems I hadn't built 2.4.17 with --initrd, only 2.4.16, and that a while ago. I rebuilt 2.4.17 from Debian kernel-source last night with --initrd, and it successfully booted this morning! (Then got stuck thinking hdb and hdc were POWERTEC, but that's a separate issue.) So either 2.4.16 had an issue, or there's been a lilo and/or (more likely) kernel-package upgrade which fixed a problem since I built my 2.4.16 initrd packages.

I'll try stock 2.4.17 and stock with the http://linuxdiskcert.org/ patch and if there's still a problem loading the initrd, I'll post anew to -user.

Thanks for your help,
--

-Adam P.