Re: fun with libgal

On Thu, Jan 24, 2002 at 10:31:27PM +0100, Bart Schuller wrote:
> On Thu, Jan 24, 2002 at 04:12:09PM +0000, Jules Bean wrote:
> > > This is a fairly well-known problem with inter-library linkage in
> > > general.
> >
> > Yes, it's a fairly well known problem.
> >
> > But what you describe is *not* how it is usually solved.  In fact,
> > it's not usually solved at all.  It is usually left broken.
>
> Should anyone encounter upstream people that need to be clued in, point
> them to http://pobox.com/~hp/parallel.html
>
> It's nice reading for Debian maintainers as well.

That is a useful document.

But unless I misread it, it describes a *different* problem.

It describes the problem of allowing simultaneous installs of libfoo4
and libfoo5.  Actually, we're pretty good at that in debian, famous
coexisting packages have included ncurses{4,5} gtk 1.1.{x,y} for
almost all conceivable {x,y}.

The problem we're fighting here is when libfoo4 and libbar6 both
depend on libpng2.

If libfoo4 is recompiled against libpng3 (which, potentially, may
involve no source changes at all, just a recompile), but libbar6 is
still linked against libpng2, then...

... an application which links against libfoo4 and libbar6 will end up
pulling in libpng2 and libpng3.  This may cause a segfault or other
problems.

I'm not clear if it always does, actually.

Jules