Re: fun with libgal

On Thu, Jan 24, 2002 at 03:37:02PM +0100, Adrian Bunk wrote:
> Could you explain this a bit further, especially the problem when the
> library gets compiled with a more recent version of libgal, e.g.:
>
> Package: evolution
> Version: 1.0.1-1
> Depends: libgal19, libgtkhtml20
>
> Package: libgtkhtml20
> Version: 1.0.0-2
> Depends: libgal19
>
> This looks perfect, but what happens when libgal20 comes but no new
> libgtkhtml21, but libgtkhtml20 gets recompiled with the more recent
> libgal, IOW:
>
> Package: libgtkhtml20
> Version: 1.0.0-7
> Depends: libgal20

If recompiling with a newer version of libgal causes an incompatibility
in libgtkhtml20 (I don't know whether it does or not), then its soname
and package name must be changed, so evolution will continue to work
when linked against the library from the old libgtkhtml package. If it
doesn't cause an incompatibility, then the situation you describe is not
a problem.