Re: fun with libgal

On Thu, Jan 24, 2002 at 04:32:47PM +0100, Adrian Bunk wrote:

> > > The .so name is given by upstream - we can't simply change it only because
> > > we recompile our libgtkhtml package with a more recent libgal.
> >
> > Then bash the upstream to change the soname.
>
> There's no reason for upstream to change the soname when nothing within
> the library changed...

If upstream won't change the soname and we choose not to for whatever
reason, then obviously we have to maintain binary compatibility even if
that requires continuing to link against old libraries. Of course, if
the libgal which libgtkhtml was built against was removed and libgtkhtml
refused to build against the new one and change its soname accordingly,
it would be an RC bug; either "not installable" or "undeclared break in
binary compatibility".

ObBug: 118366 (provided a patch, at least)