Re: Potato to Woody dist-upgrade problems

On 22-Jan 06:30, Michael Banck wrote:
> On Tue, Jan 22, 2002 at 10:30:25AM +0100, Andreas Metzler wrote:
> > "apt-get dist-upgrade" is only for power-users who can fix these
> > errors themself, Joe User should use dselect.
>
> Hmm, perhaps Joe User should use aptitude? I know aptitude did not make
> it into base, but how about a note during installation pointing towards
> its existence, like "If you encounter problems with dselect, try
> 'apt-get install aptitude && aptitude on the command-line' or similar?
>
> I have not installed Debian for a long time, so I don't know what
> percentage of user will use dselect (You can choose/refuse to run in,
> IIRC?)

Perhaps part of the problem is that in every review of Debian, the reviewers
rave about apt-get, not dselect (or aptitude.) _I_ don't use dselect either (it
seems to leave my machine in a worse state then apt--for example: I don't know wtf
it's trying to do, and I can't seem to get it to tell me. </rant>) That
said, I used dselect to get a working X install on my first install of
Debian. X is complex enough that I don't know what all the different x-*
packages do, and I feel fine in letting the maintainer keep all that stuff
straight.

Just this user's $0.25.

Thomas