Re: VIM features

On Mon, Jan 21, 2002 at 09:20:58AM +0000, Scott James Remnant wrote:
> But this is what alternatives are supposed to do.
>
> My vi alternative is set to vim, because I *want* all of the above
> features.  If one doesn't, one probably wants nvi rather than vim.

It's reasonable to want Vim without all of its features.

I do think it should default to its more useful features being enabled.
People can disable them as easily as they can enable them.  It's easy to
not notice them, and it's annoying that people used to lesser editors seem
to rally to keep them disabled by default.

I don't know how many people, who have used vim for a while, who I've
enabled syntax highlighting for; they had no idea it was even there.

A lot of people are missing out on these things because they don't spend
time poring through documentation and configuration files for all of the
packages they use.  I certainly don't--for a few, like Vim and Mutt,
but for most packages, like most users, I only read them when there's a
problem.

Offering extra configurations in /usr/share/doc/vim wouldn't help this:
people looking in there are already looking for the docs, and would
probably discover these features on their own.

(And, er, leaving things disabled doesn't prevent "endless debate" any
more then leaving them enabled. :)

Don't forget that it can be invoked as "editor", too.

--
Glenn Maynard